You just bought a new growler and are anticipating years of tasty draft beer at home! Here are a few tips for keeping that growler working without introducing off flavors over time:
- Store it cold until you have time to clean it. The best thing to do is to clean a growler as soon as you finish drinking it, but we know that’s not always possible. So, to limit bacteria’s ability to take hold, keep the growler in a cooler or in the fridge until you have a few minutes to wash it out.
- Triple rinse with hot water. Make sure your tap water is nice and hot, then fill, swirl and rinse your growler about 3 times. This should knock out anything that has started to develop in your growler.
- Air dry upside down. Allow your growler to sit upside down and air dry completely. A damp growler can harbor bacteria, whereas a dry growler will not.
- Leave the cap off. Don’t cap your growler once it has been cleaned. Capping the growler will result in stagnant air, which could promote bacteria growth. Allowing the air to circulate will reduce this risk.
- If you have any questions, feel free to ask one of our expert staff!